I’m on a bit of a quinoa kick lately. As I stated in my previous post, it is a bit bland when served without any seasonings, which is why I’m introducing you to these little lovlies.
Again, I have a huge addiction to Pinterest. I found a few cheesy quinoa recipes, but honestly, they didn’t sound like they had enough “kick” for my liking. I spiced them up a bit and switched up the type of cheese, made them a little healthier by swapping out a few ingredients, and this was the result.
I don’t like to toot my own horn….
These are pretty darn tasty.
Spicy Tex-Mex Quinoa Bites
adapted from So Very Blessed
yields approximately 12 bites
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 3 egg whites or 1/4 cup liquid egg whites
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend (or cheddar) plus additional for topping
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- olive oil or cooking spray
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 12 muffin pan wells with olive oil or cooking spray. Place all ingredients in a bowl and stir until combined. Place quinoa mixture by heaping tablespoon into muffin pan wells and pat down with the back of a spoon. Cook in the oven for 13-15 minutes. Remove pan and sprinkle a bit of cheese on each quinoa patty. Set the oven to broil, and broil on low for 3-5 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and beginning to brown. Serve with your favorite salsa.